Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ben Frost & Daníel Bjarnason - SÓLARIS (2011) (FLAC)


Artist: Ben Frost, Daníel Bjarnason
Album: SÓLARIS
Quality: Lossless FLAC
Released: November 11, 2011
Genre: Modern Classical, Ambient
Label: Bedroom Community
Size: 195 MB

"We have no need for other worlds. We need mirrors. We don't know what to do with other worlds. A single world, our own, suffices us; but we can't accept it for what it is."

Poland's Unsound Festival commissioned Ben Frost and Daníel Bjarnason to create a new piece of music inspired by Andre Tarkovsky’s 1972 Solaris - of which the original novel was written by Polish author Stanislaw Lem - as 2011 marked the novel's 50th anniversary.
The piece then has been performed live by Frost, Bjarnason and Krakow’s 28-piece Sinfonietta Cracovia - intensified with visual manipulations of the original by Frost's mentor Brian Eno and Nick Robertson.
I'm truly grateful I had the opportunity to witness this..let me call it.."happening" myself.



SÓLARIS imaginates the spooky silence, the loneliness in space of the science fiction-dystopia as a man-machine-sound, an eerie blend of Bjarnason's classical arrangement and Frost's numbing minimalism.

Combining the warmth of a string orchestra with prepared piano and waves of guitar, for "Solaris", they took Melodyne, (music software designed to improve music and pitch), and "turned it against itself and encouraged it to misbehave." --> source
I don't feel I should tell you much more about what this record sounds like, but instead you should take a listen - probably while watching the film on mute.

BUY!

4 comments:

  1. Um sorry, I have no clue what the password is. Where's the harm in proving it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. find it in the first post.
      the harm?
      file survivability, my friend!

      Delete
  2. The same "happening" occurred March 2013 in Adelaide for the Adelaide Unsound Festival and I was fortunate enough to experience it. The music was incredible but I was shockingly disappointed by the visuals which were done by Brian Eno. I didn't think they were very interesting (and I am a huge fan of his Thursday Afternoon video and the source material he had to use for Solaris was visually more interesting, I just did not find he did much with them that engaged my attention).

    Also, of note the album cover: a recreation of one of the scenes from the original Tarkovsky movie. Love it.

    ReplyDelete